14 February 2007

Are We Really Conscious of the Air We Breath?

As I was finishing up reading the last part of chapter 2 in our book, I was starting to think about each single breath I was taking. I have always known that air is composed of many particles, but never did I realize that they were infact solid particles and for that matte, particles that could possibly harm my health. Of course small, random exposure to these particles could for the most part mean no harm, but wouldn't it be nice to know what you are breathing in. As I was walking past the construction site this morning, across form the IPJ, they were sanding something that was producing a giant white cloud of particulates. After reading chapter 2, I was honestly nervous to breath in as I walked by. Not that the construction workers hvae much of a choice in their job tasks, but it made me think to a much broader picture. How much are we really conscious of as we live our day to day lives? Is it possible that if the public was more aware on specific hazards to their health, they might change their lifestyles for the better?

As I was reading my weekly Time Magazine, this week had an article on "Greenhoouse Airlines" and how 1.6% of greenhouse gases is due inpart to airplanes. It was interesting because it also mentioned that although this was a small percentage, the carbon released was at higher altitudes than ground level and thus had a greater warming effect. Apparently, long flights are equivelent to months of driving SUV's. That's somehting that I am sure not many people have thought about. The article also mentioned how the Prince of Wales made a public effort to cut back on his flights last year. It just makes me wonder how many more people might cut back on their flights if they were made conscious of the decisions they make.

Time Magazine, "Greenhouse Airlines" by Brian Walsh; February 12, 2007
www.time.com

No comments: