12 February 2007

Bush Doing Some Good (kinda)

To tell the truth, I always felt my home town of NYC was a fairly clean place to live in terms of atmospheric pollution, at least compared to the other citys i have travelled to around the world. I never experienced the burning stink of the smog I found in Los Angeles, Rome, or Tokyo nor did I ever see the yellow haze that signifies it. But i will say that for the 15 years or so that I have had formative memories of the place, the statues and monuments that give the city much of its character have been "melting." It is disturbingly easy to track the effect acid rain has had on these beautiful public works of art were a timespan of only several years is needed to discern extreme superficial damage. This article is relieving in the fact that it represents some amount of recognition of the problem and the resulting changes in policy need to rectify it. Since the press release was dated in late 2003, it would be most intresting to see scientific data on the effect these stringent laws have had in the past 3 years. I will surely look. Due to the fact that a large part of the damaging SO2 and SH2 are not produced in New York state, inter-state co-operation seems to have great promise in helping problems like this all around the country, and these laws are indicative of that co-operation. Hopefully in time to prevent the noble visage's of my memories from degrading into formless masses.
http://www.senate.gov/~schumer/SchumerWebsite/pressroom/press_releases/PR02265.html

2 comments:

Joe said...

Even though this is by no means a scientific document, i thought it important to show some recognition of these events on the governmental level.

Liz said...

The statues in Bangkok were in the same shape as those in New York. I could never tell if it was simply their age or the sulfur particulates and gases' destructive forces. However, after blowing my nose and getting a 'nice' glimpse of the particulates in the air, I have no doubt that the smog and haze in Bangkok are affecting the statues. Not to mention human health.